Friday 6 November 2009

It works :)

It is great to see the blogs growing and everybody writing.
so it works. :)

Last week I finished my yeartraining of leadershipness here in Belgium. It was one year with 10 persons from different areas (coordinators, social workers, ITC, Banks,...) to develop our skills in leadershipness. Groupdynamic, system theories, rose of leary, commynication, leading meetings,... all in an experiential way.
In this year I learned something about groups.
A group is growing as far every individu wants to grow. I got confrontated with the different levels of investment in the group. Some were more proces related, others more task-related.Somewhere half of the middle more then half of the group had the feeling it has been enough. I don't need to be here anymore in the group. Also I had that feeling. It was the first time I found out this. And at the end even one participant didn't take part in the final evaluation. This felt strange, cause I had the feeling we could not really close the group, the process of the year.
In this year I questioned myself also a lot in what do I invest in the group. I felt a bit an outstander, cause I was not coordinating a team like them, I was a trainer for different groups. I hated role plays, playing meetings, but I loved the active grouptasks. In my job i felt fine everything was going good and about my personal life I didn't feel like it was the place to share things. At the end I did, cause it was interfearing with my presence and I realized people liked it cause they could get closer to me. But still I have this question of how much of your personal life you throw in. I did this before without any borders or limits and it got a bit a mess. Now I am searching a way to balance it.
Out of the training I took for myself the learning point:
Myself as a tool for giving trainings. At the moment I can invent 101 methods to do things and share thigs,but when I have nothing I feel so naked with the group. So I realize if I want to use myself as tool I will also have to go in the bow of personality and mix it up with my being as a trainer....
It looks like a big challenge to deal with...
That is why I choose this personal learning project on Influences trainer - Group. I still have to start on it how to get it in a structure :)

1 comment:

  1. Nice to read your post ! I've same level of questions around level of investment in the group... In my work team most of the tension are coming from there. Some do invest themseleves and time a lot and other just do what they like personaly without thinking about the group while even other jsut do the minima they have to be able to stay. I'm the one who is supposed to manage the team but I don't always know how to deal with investment level where to stop some how to motivate others. I would like to learn more on that...

    ReplyDelete